Sunday 24 February 2013

Running without Music...part 2

Facing your fears, no matter how insignificant they may seem to others, is all part of the running journey.  I love the incremental improvements I have made in the past 8 months.  Last June, I had never even run 5K.  Now I have two 10K runs under my belt and am about to attempt a 9 mile road race.  I have signed up for 2 half-marathons later in the year.  But I must admit, as the miles mount, so too does the fear factor.  But like I say (as one of my running mantras) Bring It On!

As I mentioned in my last Blog entry, one of my fears regarding the Norton 9 next Sunday (03/03) is that I will be doing my first 'undulating' road race without music.  I hope there will be some whooping and cheering and motivational 'shout outs' from fellow runners, and that I will not be left alone with my internal monologue!

In preparation for the 9 miles, I did a short 3 mile run without music yesterday.  It was OK, my pace was a bit slower, but you have to start somewhere, right?  My long run today was an 8 miler, so I did the first 3 without music, and then hit my iPod, and fell into the arms of Guy Garvey as he sang 'One Day Like This' which is the tune I like to start my run to.  I love my playlist, but I'm weaning myself off.  My pace is slightly faster with my tunes, but I'm not going for a PB next week.  As long as I finish, it will be a PB, as I've not run the distance before!

Norton 9...yes, I'm a bit nervous, but I am also looking forward to it.   Will I ditch the tunes afterwards? I suppose it's possible.  The running journey is one of many surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment