Saturday 4 May 2013

Post Race Ramblings

I did it!  I'm so pleased I made it in a good time, but also so pleased it's over.  The emotional build up to a new distance can be exhausting in itself, without adding in the effect it has on your body.



The North Lincolnshire Half-Marathon was a well-organised race with some nice touches.  Race HQ was based in Glanford Park, home to Scunthorpe United.  It was easy to get to, there was ample parking,  plenty of toilets with queues that were not too ridiculous, hot drinks were being served, good baggage area manned by the scouts and there was even a stand selling sports wear and gels (ideal for me as I had packed everything except my energy gels!)  There was a 3/4 mile walk along an urban trail to the start, which was not ideal, but necessary to fit the distance in for the race.  The course itself was lovely and flat, a little windy for the first 7 miles, but we've had strong winds for weeks. The course took us along some narrow roads and through lovely picturesque villages where residents had come out to cheer us along.  The finish was great - the last 100 metres brought you into the football ground and onto the pitch.

As I entered the ground, I fought hard to hold back the tears that were threatening to overwhelm me with the relief that I had achieved my goal, and that the pain was finally over.  My knee was in agony.  The last 2 miles were really tough and I felt the pain spreading from the side of my knee to underneath it.  I looked up into the stands and searched the faces for the 3 blondies that are; my hubby, my daughter and my son.  Again, I fought back tears of emotion as I was reunited with them.

6 days on, and I think my knee is starting to forgive me and return to normal!  Time for some real healing and strengthening now.  I have a 10K race at the end of May in Clumber Park, Nottinghmshire, (http://www.rwtrailblazer.co.uk/notts.html) but that shouldn't put too much strain on my knee.  It's October I need to work towards.  I have entered the Royal Parks Half Marathon in London (http://royalparkshalf.com/) where I will run and raise money for http://www.scope.org.uk/

However, I am enjoying a little break from running...but I won't leave it too long.  Another day or two and I will squeeze myself back into my dry-fit lycra and hit the road again!

No comments:

Post a Comment