Sunday 13 January 2013

Better late than never!

My run last weekend was awful; the sort that made me think that running and I weren't meant to be.  Then I developed a chest cold, so I surrendered to my cough and took a full week off from running. I know that experts use the 'neck up' rule (http://www.runnersworld.com/health/should-you-run-when-youre-sick?page=single), but I didn't need to consult them as I knew that if I couldn't walk up the stairs without panting, I wan't in a fit state to run.With hindsight, I now think that the cold was in my system but I was unaware of it until the day following my run.


 This morning, I pulled on my running gear and set off into the chilly morning mist.  I made a conscious decision not to get caught up in numbers.  Today was about easing myself back into it with a sensible 3 mile run.  After about 2 minutes, I realised that I was actually feeling good.  My body was moving rhythmically without any great effort on my part.  Tentatively, I pulled back the sleeve of my running top  and looked at my Garmin.....my pace was 9.12!  Hurrah.  I am back on form.


Now, I'm filled with the New Year enthusiasm everyone else felt about 2 weeks ago.  I've been leafing through my latest Runner's World and can't decide which Half-Marathon should I do?  I am very tempted by Reading, North Lincolnshire and of course.....The Great North.  Decisions, decisions!

No comments:

Post a Comment