Tuesday 16 October 2012

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Last Sunday, I had an amazing run.  It was a route that I plotted a few weeks ago and had been itching for the time and form to do it.  While you can often hear me grumble about the inconvenience of living in the sticks, I must admit that when it comes to running routes I am spoiled for choice (and they are all flat!)  So on my 10K run, I marveled at the autumnal beauty, the changing leaves, the berries on the bushes, the lack of wind and the reflection of the billowing clouds in the canal waters.  I thought about my lungs, how they were working, how my body was functioning as I wanted it to, I focused on my legs and feet and tried to improve my style.  For me, it encapsulated a lot of what running is about.  I had The Buzz!  I was thinking....maybe Half Marathon....maybe one day, even the Big One!
However,  I got totally carried away by my enthusiasm and fell foul of making classic beginner mistakes.  I'd had such a great run, that I repeated it two days later.  My body didn't like that, my right knee ached and I started with sciatic twinges. It made me realize that running 'like a mother' and continuously upping my mileage was not the best approach in becoming better.  Taking some sense on board, I reverted to a 5K after work one night, but then tried the 10K again on Sunday  (this time, with a slight cold).  Not a good idea either!  I found the run very hard, and could have thrown in the towel at any point.  I have never been so relieved to return home, my body ached and I felt annoyed with my stupid cold for hindering my progress. 
I like to think that I have grown as a runner this week; I now know that I need to reign in my enthusiasm!  Over the next few weeks, I plan to run more sensibly.  I hope to adopt a training plan, do more research on nutrition, muscle repair and ways to improve.  Also, my daughter has expressed a desire to race, so I am going to look into some child friendly races in our area, and see if she wants to try a gentle jog around our park.
I laughed in recognition as I read this blog link http://www.shutupandrun.net/2012/04/9-dumb-mistakes-new-runners-make.html  I'm not the only one who started out thinking I was invincible! 


No comments:

Post a Comment