Monday 1 October 2012

Heroes and Role Models

I love arriving home after a run; particularly when I am greeted by my son flinging himself at my legs, wrapping himself around them and proclaiming, "I missed you when you were running."  Between the puffing and the gulping of water, I feel wonderful.

My children were ridiculously proud of me when I did my first 10k a few weeks ago.  I crossed the finishing line, returned my chip, collected my goodie bag and enjoyed the heroes welcome I received from my little support crew.  While I sat on the edge of a flower bed, they fished out my 'tin foil' blanket and medal, and insisted I wear both.

Not only do I find that running does wonders for my body, both physically and mentally, but I like to think that I am being a positive role model for my children.  I hope that I am showing them that achievements are made by hard work, commitment and goal setting.

And I love the Olympic Legacy!  I was thrilled when in July, the first poster my daughter put her wall was one of Victoria Pendleton holding her medal.  I only hope that this next generation continues to be inspired by the sporting heroes we all came to love this summer; that they understand that achievement and success comes at the end of a lot of hard work. 

In the meantime, I intend to do my little bit (both for myself and for my children), rambling along, racing a little and aspiring to be the best runner and mother I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment