Monday 8 October 2012

Dog Jog

I'm not great at time management, and I've had one of those weeks where my exercise plans have taken a back seat.  But I have managed to 'dog jog' a couple of times.
A while back, I decided that I would try to combine the daily dog walk with a jog.  This venture has had mixed success.  If given the choice, I would always choose a solo run.  I love the feeling of freedom I get when I run; I feel light and unanchored.....not a feeling I have when I am tethered to my excited Running Dog!
The cons of jogging with my pooch?  She gets very over-excited about the jogs and always starts off too fast for me, so I end up being dragged along behind her.  After a couple of hundred metres,  I usually manage to reign her in, and for a while, we are in sync; perfect jogging companions.  However, she will stop dead if she detects a new smell (and given that she is a scent hound, that happens very often), and my arm is yanked out of its socket.
It's not all negative; the pros are that I am getting a run, she is getting exercised, and I have saved a bit of time.  Also, I love those moments when we are in sync; she looks like she is really enjoying herself.  I'm going to stick with it, as I am hopeful that one day we will be better running companions.  I'm proud of the fact that we've worked up to a 5K circuit (and we only walk about 1K of that.)
I have to try to be selfless on these outings; Running Dog is not interested in a PB.  She's more of a 'tempo training' gal!

No comments:

Post a Comment