Sunday 25 November 2012

Just do it!


Comparing ourselves to others is something we are all guilty of it, and I think it makes most of us feel bad.  But we still do it!  I know that after a few minutes on Facebook, I inevitably convince myself that everyone is happier/busier/more glamorous than I am.

I am also guilty of comparing myself to other runners. During my last race, (which was a loop course) I watched open-mouthed and envious at those who were powering their way past the 7K - as I passed the 3K marker!  Wow....wouldn't it be amazing to run like that.....could I ever do that? Well, no, is the simple answer.  I am a recreational runner.  I will not win any races, but by running in races I might raise a little money for charity and keep my mind and body fit in the meantime.

The great think about running, and running events, is that you learn that runners come in all shapes and sizes.  It may sound stupid, but I didn't know that until I entered my first race.  I had been running solo for years before I had the courage to enter a race: I'd felt I wasn't good enough to stand next to real runners.  And it's not all about a PB.  Loads of people race for fun, to raise funds for charities, to remember lost loved ones.  I was chocked with tears as I watched the final two runners cross the finishing line at a 10K race in Sheffield; an 81 year old man and his daughter.  Christ, if I live to be 81, I hope I am as brave and fit as he is.

I think what I'm saying is, it's not all about speed.  We get so bogged down with our 'minute mile' and our PBs.   Of course, this stuff is important as a marker, but the main thing is that we run, and that we enjoy running.  In a recent survey by Runner's World, participants were asked what running milestone they were most proud of.  The majority rated the ability to run a long distance over speed.
Get outside the numbers....be present in your next run, not pre-occupied!



No comments:

Post a Comment