Monday 12 November 2012

Staying Motivated

I find staying motivated during the dark days of Autumn to be a challenge.  Writing this Blog certainly helps, as it forces me to think about running more than I probably would if I wasn't writing it.  But there are lots of other ways to stay focused on running.  Here are some that I came up with on my run this morning:

1)  Tunes : I find running with music inspires and motivates me.  I occasionally revamp my running playlist, and I like to know what songs motivate fellow runners so I can incorporate them if I feel they will work for me.  My playlist starts out quite slow (Fatboy Slim's 'Right Here, Right Now') and revs up a gear at about the 5K marker (Franz Ferdinand's 'Take Me Out').  I also enjoy a bit of Lady Gaga's 'Poker Face'.  For me, the songs need to have a kick to get me going.

2)  Get kitted up : Sometimes, even if I plan to run later on in the day, I get into my running clothes first thing.  That way it's harder to back out of the run.

3)  Run with a friend : While I love escaping for a run and enjoying time alone, there are times when I wish I could share a nice route with a fellow runner, or just benefit from some company and encouragement.  Why not arrange a 'Share a Route' day with a fellow runner.  Take it in turns to devise routes to run together.

4)  Reward yourself : If you successfully haul your ass out into the cold, you need to reward yourself on your return, for doing so.  I enjoy a coffee and a piece of cake post run.  I have also decided to reward myself with a post-race cake, after each race (no, I don't plan to eat all of it, but I will enjoy planning, making and sharing it). This weekend it will be a lemon and poppy seed cake to celebrate (hopefully) my completion of the Abbey Dash.

5)  Read about running : Whether it's Runner's world or a book, reading about running can be very motivating.  (After reading 'Running with the Kenyans' I began to feel I might like to run a Marathon!)

6)  Race! : Entering races will give you a clear, definite target you can work towards.  I must admit, I was tempted to slack off this morning but couldn't as I have a race on Sunday.

If you have any motivating tips, please leave a comment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment