Monday 5 November 2012

Winter Clobber

Recently, in an attempt to keep my enthusiasm bubbling away, I registered for the Leeds Abbey Dash.  It takes place on Sunday 18th November.  Unlike my first and last 10K, I am not worried about covering the distance, but I do want to better my time.  Since I started taking running seriously, I have found my inner competitive spirit. I am not fired up about doing better than the other runners, but I do want to beat my 10K time of 59:52.  Provided there are no hills, I'm hopeful that I will achieve that target.
Now that the weather has turned cold, I am so pleased that I have finally taken the plunge and invested in some proper cold-weather running kit.  Last year, I used to go out in my tracksuit bottoms and a sweatshirt...no wonder my running used to slack off in October and restart in March!  This Autumn, thanks to my hubbie and my overdraft, I have some lovely Ronhill running tights, a long-sleeved Gore top and a Lonsdale waterproof (which was Bargin as opposed to Budget according to Runner's World).   This vision in fluorescent lycra is crowned with a Ronhill beanie.  I know it's a cliche, but having the proper kit makes such a difference. 
I was trying to put off the inevitable expense of a new pair of trainers until after the Abbey Dash, plus I didn't want to retire my Nike Lunar glides as I've loved them so much, but I've had to listen to my muscles.  Over the last couple of weeks, my shins have become increasingly sore, but yesterday, they stopped me in my tracks.  I set off full of enthusiasm for my six mile run and had to turn around and head home. I lied to myself as I set off, the soreness will ease out, mind over matter, Man Up! etc. But then sense kicked in and I realised after 2 miles that something was wrong.  I am hoping that this is nothing major and a few days of R and R will sort out the soreness, but in the meantime I hot-footed it to Sweat Shop in Meadowhall and after trying on 6 pairs of trainers, purchased a new pair of Brooks.  Looking forward to getting back out in them, when the muscle soreness dies away.  

Today, in Sweat Shop, I learned that if I am running 20 miles a week (and that is my target)  I should change my trainers every 6 months!  (My Nikes were over 3 years old!)
Sports bras should also be changed every six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment